The CCMA's statutory functions, as set out in the Labour Relations Act, 66 of 1995 (LRA), are divided into those which are compulsory and those which are discretionary.
The CCMA's compulsory statutory functions are to:
- conciliate workplace disputes;
- arbitrate certain categories of disputes that remain unresolved after conciliation;
- establish picketing rules;
- facilitate the establishment of workplace forums and statutory councils;
- compile and publish information and statistics about our activities;
- consider applications for accreditation and subsidy by bargaining councils and private agencies; and
- provide support for the Essential Services Committee.